Wednesday

Bass, I love you.

*
I thought this was interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN5cuRzvTGc



No, not my crappy video with the cameraman falling over the junk on the floor out in the IB enclosure. I was completely sober. I swear! :-)

I was playing a YouTube video through my system and thought I'd record it from out in the IB enclosure. The bass was terrific in the enclosure while playing the video at 95-96dB(C) average measured at the listening position out in the AV room. Luckily I managed to record most of the bass with my Canon camera. But what was really interesting was the lack of extreme cone excursions when played back through my system but which the original YouTube video had produced in my (newer) IB drivers. The camera has failed to capture the extremely deep bass. It is known that there is considerable 5 & 8 Hz content (and above of course) at quite high levels on this track.

If you play the video on ordinary computer speakers all you hear is the simple, plinketty plink of the repetitive theme. But when I play my own video through my system the bass is almost nauseatingly heavy with little else in the background. As is to be expected, of course, when I was recording it out in the enclosure where the output from the speakers could not easily reach. You may like to play the video with your own IB subwoofer to see what it makes of it. I find it almost unpleasant at quite modest levels so heavy is the bass.

The newer drivers with their low Fs (16Hz) take sole responsibility for the extremely low bass while the older drivers take over upper bass duties . Not what I really wanted, after all my efforts to match their responses, but so be it.

It seems that YouTube is well able to reproduce and "rebroadcast" 5hz at high levels without any problem. Which is quite amusing when emasculated sub owners complain about the lack of bass on some tracks on YouTube. Including the one I played through my IB above.

Here is the original YouTube video music track for you to try playing through your system. Do *not* wind up the volume until you check out the few extreme cone excursions on the occasional off-beat! It doesn't happen frequently in the duration of this track but it might just catch you out. So beware! The video title sequence is not over hyped, for once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-BXKtpO-rc



These wild cone movements put me off playing the track any louder than I did. They didn't produce any sense of pressure or any other stimulation (at all) in my own senses. So presumably the composers (Bassotronics) own a Thigpen rotary sub. Why else would they put content on a track which cannot be reproduced by any but the largest subwoofers on the planet? I wonder if an extreme car audio subwoofer installation could harness cabin gain to reproduce something which might just be sensed at 5-8Hz by the vehicle occupants?
*